View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I wonder if it's just more targeted marketing towards non-traditional students, who previously may have just gone to a local commuter school and made it work somehow.

There may indeed be more of a demand, but the schools are definitely responding to that demand, and the fact that people who may not have pursued college, or may have just stuck to an AA or trade school, are going out for bachelor's degrees, is just making it that much easier for the schools to get more "bang" for their advertising buck.

We all know that for-profit colleges prey on non-traditional students looking for a leg up, and I wouldn't be surprised if real schools are doing the same thing.
*blows the whistle* by "real" you mean traditional?

Somewhat pulling your leg - just advocating for the respect of all schooling, as those who enroll at for-profit institutions, these schools are as "real" as college will get for where they are at in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
There have been large numbers of veterans returning from active service for over a decade now but they've been going to schools that are typically more accommodating (Think U of Phoenix) to them. It's my belief that public and non profit universities finally noticed how financially beneficial nontraditional students are and want a piece of the action. I do sort of feel that they have taken some cues from the for profits in how they just want you to register and pay your tuition and are not really concerned with how you do as a student. When talking with representatives from ASU and Penn State about their online programs I got more of a telemarketer vibe from them than that of an advisor.
Yup. #staywoke

To be fair, some students apply to online programs (which aren't always for-profit institutions, to be clear) and are NOT looking to be cared about as a student, so to speak. Think about an executive MBA student: you think they enroll in an online program to be nurtured and developed as a student? Likely not - they want their credits so they can get the credential and get promoted/make more money.

You also spoke with representatives at two somewhat reputable online programs of reputable research institutions. They aren't supposed to give you an advisor vibe. They work to sell you a program - they probably weren't as smooth about it if you got a telemarketer vibe about it.