View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Untrue. Homeschooling laws vary wildly from state to state. Wisconsin, for example, requires no testing, and no proof to the state educational system other than a statement that you are providing 875 hours of education in a variety of subjects. Many other states are similar, or require no testing or documentation whatsoever.

I agree that many homeschooled kids are very involved in other activities. These kids are not. (When you spend the entire day teaching your little brother math and doing everyone's laundry, when would you have the time?) I also think that when utilized correctly, homeschooling is far more effective than public schooling. Again, this is not the case for this family.

I straight-out said that I have no real problem with their clothes, the fact that they are homeschooled, and that they are asked to help out around the house. You're right -- that does not make them bad parents. What makes them bad parents is the way they force their chidlren to become surrogate parents to their siblings, they do not allow their children to have individual personalities, they do not allow their children any semblance of privacy or room to grow, the fact that they do not allow their children the opportunity to have many friends other than their siblings and certainly no friends that do not share their extremely narrow worldview.

And the blanket training. Don't forget the blanket training.
From their website and your points, it seriously sounds like this is a glorified prison. In their schedule it says nothing about going to play with neighborhood children. It talks about shopping and all that but when do they have time?

KLTC