View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, that is fantastic advice, thank you!

Based on some of the feedback I just want to clarify, we have no intention to force our kids to participate in Greek Life. Hope it didn't come off that way. I won't be disappointed in my son for not joining a fraternity. We just want him to cast any misconceptions aside, be open-minded and give it a good look. The same goes for any other club or opportunity, don't just reject it because you don't think you'll like it or your buddies say so.

We have been trying to drive the point with him that college is all about expanding your horizons, trying new things and learning both inside and outside of the classroom. My son in particular has pretty narrow worldview right now with very specific interests and people who he spends time with. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I do think college is a great opportunity to grow and really become the adult he will be, even if he circles back to where he is now. As long as he gets out of his comfort zone and gives things a try.

Likewise, I am thankful that there is a range of people on this site, from those currently in school to fellow parents who have been through what I'm experiencing. I look forward to hearing from both sides and sharing my own thoughts as well.