View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea981 View Post
Hi. My GLO chapter has always had its ups and downs as far as numbers. Chapter total is 35, which no sorority can ever reach for more than a semester. There are 3 sororities and ours fluxtuates between being the 2nd or 3rd in numbers. Our largest year was back in 2002, when I was a Junior, when we had 25 actives. More often, though, we are about 15-20 girls. (EDIT: I want to clarify the reason the sororities are so small on campus -- the campus itself has only about 900 students)

After 5 years since graduating, I have returned to the area of my local GLO and have volunteered to be an advisor. Part of me wants to do everything humanly possible to help turn the chapter around, but I know that this type of involvement is not always helpful to chapters. At this time, it seems like the chapter needs a lot of help (headquarters is coming for a "visit" this fall), but I don't want to cross the line into being the micromanaging type of advisor that turns into a horror story. I had one of those kinds of advisors when I was President of my chapter my senior year, and it really was hard.

So my question is, what things can an advisor do that would be the most helpful -- particularly for recruitment issues. I want to be careful not to cross the line, but I really hope that my involvement can get my chapter over their "hump" and into a good recruitment this semester.
If the other sororities are all having a problem reaching/staying at total, it should be lowered. Be sure to let HQ know that this is the case - i.e. it's not like everyone else's numbers are through the roof and yours are unnaturally low.

Try to help them during rush not to get discouraged if girls they like don't come back, and to focus on the ones they do like who are showing up. Encourage them to COB and make friends outside the sorority.