View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I've mentioned this site numerous times recently because it has been a really great experience, and I promise I'm not spamming. LOL. It is www.youcaring.com. You can set up your cause and your donation goal, and then email people the link to donate in increments of their choosing. You Caring does not collect any portion of the proceeds and is supported exclusively by donations. At checkout, your donors will be asked if they want to make a contribution to support the site. And unlike other fundraising sites, You Caring will release your funds to you at the end of the fundraiser even if you didn't hit your goal. You can also provide updates to people who visit your page, such as telling them about how you are preparing.

For example, my friend's husband is battling a rare form of cancer and his MIL has posted updates on his treatment and folks can donate. He and his wife are missing a lot of work and they have huge student loans, a mortgage, and travel/lodging expenses because he is receiving treatments at Mayo. It's been a nice way to keep in touch with them and know what is going on, aside from the occasional email they can send out to us.

I've seen people using the site for medical expenses, adoptions, tuition, etc., so it could be a great way for you to solicit your families and friends to meet your goal.