View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
The way through this is -> I would introduce you as a native Texan raised by Texans in California.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I think you have a case of "grass is greener" syndrome. You seem to have such a negative opinion of where you grew up, the culture and the people, while idolizing old school stereotypes of the South. From the brief passages you've written, you paint a truly terrible picture of Californians that not only damages your credibility, but is just not accurate. When I hear someone have that much negativity to their environment, I usually suspect someone of playing poorly with others and having adjustment issues.
And this. Frankly, what I suspect is someone who all of his life has heard comparisons from his parents between "home" and where they live now. Often in those comparisons, "home" takes on a somewhat romanticized patina, with the the good parts coming to the fore (and being exaggerated), the bad parts being forgotten and stereotypes on all sides being reinforced. When I read statements like the OP's, I tend to think there's a somewhat skewed, unrealistic expectation going on of what the South is like.

GetMeOutOfHere, you aren't coming off as a douche at all. You're coming across as someone who's enthusiastic, who may have an image in your mind that isn't quite realistic, and who as result might be trying just a little too hard.