View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
A specific example would be "No physical contact: this includes paddling, hitting, shoving, pushing" and so forth. That's the POINT. You say what it actually is, not just the title of the thing.

Congratulations on making it through college on a plane above everyone else. Although that really doesn't answer any of the questions we are discussing.
With your example you could not hug your sisters, nor shake hands, etc. There's no way to craft that kind of law, that's why courts exist in the first place. But you neglect to address the point about whether hazing (or 'hazing') actually creates members who know more, or just creates more hazers. Unless the NPC or NIC (or anyone) have done studies about member knowledge before and after hazing, none of us can really say whether it's hurt or helped or something in between. I challenge your assumption that somehow members know less now or would know more if they could be hazed. Frankly I think we'd just have fewer members and it wouldn't be the 'good ones' who stayed.

And as far as drinking goes -My point, you missed it. People treat hazing like a rite of passage too. "I did it, so you do it." But it's not necessary, no more so than 21 shots must be used to celebrate your 21st. But just as laws have not removed all hazing, legalizing drinking for all college students will not remove binge drinking.

You started by stating that states needed 'their rights' back, then backpedaled to "well they'd learn at home" and now you decided to make it about my sarcastic comment rather than "the questions we are discussing."

The assumption that every college student is going to be stupid is part of the problem. The expectation has been created, too many kids try to live up to it.

But again you neglected to respond to how precisely you'd sell lowering the drinking age when your own expected response would be increased stupidity until 'things change' at some unspecified future date. It's not happening, right? Same thing with hazing, you can't sell it that way either.

Why is it so difficult to just not haze? (It's not.) Even if some of the rules are annoying, or excessive for your individual chapter, it's not much different from following the speed limit because it's the limit. Just because you can drive 80 'safely' doesn't mean you should, or that the cops are going to be ok with it because they know you. Just because your chapter can 'handle' hazing behaviors without crossing the line doesn't mean you should.