View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 11:48 PM

It is a fine line.

I pledged a local and was required to do certain things that could be considered hazing. For example, the pledges (yup, pledges, not new members) had to do a pledge project, which was planning and preparing a meal - but we also got to join our sisters in eating the meal itself, rather than being just waitresses. Alcohol, OTOH, was a strict no-no - neither pledges nor actives were allowed to wear letters or any insignia anywhere alcohol could be consumed, even if we weren't actually consuming it, and a lot of my sisters didn't even drink. We were treated as "almost but not quite actives" from day one, and we were never made to do anything degrading or humiliating.

Once we became a colony of AEPhi, every member was required to pass a test before initiation. The test questions included the sorority's colors, flower, mascot, founders' names, things every member should know. NMs could take the test as often as necessary to pass (defined as a 100% score), and a sister would always sit the test with the NM class to avoid allegations of making the NMs do something the sisters didn't have to do. But a simple test of basic knowledge is not hazing in my book.