Thread: I Don't Get AI
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Using your Mom as the example, would she have any interest in doing this if not for you?

I had typed up a whole theoretical scenario that turns out pretty similar to your Mom's when my computer crashed and I lost it. Real is better than theoretical anyway.

The thing is it's so hard to explain what alumna membership is because it does vary a great deal around the country and from GLO to GLO. But I don't think there are any that are going to fill the void of wishing you were in a collegiate chapter.
I don't think my mom would have joined any NPC group via AI without some type of personal connection. She does have friends in other NPC groups but since she has a different type of connection with them (lifelong childhood friends) I don't think that is something that ever came up in their conversations. For my mother it was not a way to "redo" her college years in any way. It was a way for her to experience AOII on a different level from just serving punch and cookies during recruitment. Her continued support of AOII through me and my sister allowed her to want a deeper connection. Plus, it's something the 3 of us share together. It was a wonderful experience to have my sister, my mother, and me altogether at AOII Convention this year. It allowed them to see AOII on a bigger picture. Plus, as an international volunteer for AOII they can see how much it all means to me. (Must have rubbed off my sister is a new adviser for her local collegiate chapter down in FL!)

I would also like to share another example. When I was a collegian our financial adviser was a local CPA and Accounting professor on campus. She had been helping the chapter and tutoring members as well. She had gone to a small private college where there was no Greek Life. We alumna initiated her since her hours of service and her dedication to the chapter were outstanding. She was overwhelmed with joy and accepted the invitation.

So, I think the best point of all of this is it is a case by case situation. There are some outstanding alumnae initiates in my own sorority and they have really done wonderful things for AOII whether on the local level or international level.