View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Round

I was bracing myself for the worst but hoping for the best when I went to meet my Rho Gamma for my list. I knew being a sophomore could hurt my chances, but I was hoping that my good conversations had tilted things in my favor.

She hands me the list.

Sage
Chili
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper
Garlic
Paprika

What? What happened? Where are Cinnamon and Fennel? What did I do wrong? We had a maximum of 16 chapters this round, and I had 6. It wasn't my GPA, because I had almost a 4.0 as a sophomore. I was heavily involved on campus. I had recs for many of the chapters. I knew women in the chapters. Did I say something wrong?

Blinking back tears, I started my mantra for the rest of recruitment: It only takes one. I had spent a lot of time on GC and I knew that these chapters wanted me and I needed to give them my all. The other chapters did not see me as a good fit and I needed to let them go. Plus, I still had chapters that I really liked from the first round!

I turned to my Rho Gamma and explained my thoughts. A shaky smile and hug later, she said she was proud of me. On the plus side, I only had one day of rounds for philanthropy! I got a day off!

It only takes one. It only takes one. It only takes one...

Sage was the first chapter on my list. I had mostly contained my emotions from the morning and was ready to go. I loved this chapter the other day, after all. The philanthropy presentation was adorable and I could see myself becoming very involved. We started the craft got to chatting. I was surprised to find that the conversations did not flow as well this round. I liked this chapter, but it did not strike me as a great fit like it did during Open House.

Chili was up next. This round blew me away! I loved this chapter during Open House, and I loved them again this round. The philanthropy was personal to me and the women I talked to were clearly passionate about it. The women I talked to were in my major and we shared stories about classes and what we wanted to do for careers. The round passed all too quickly and I left hoping that they would invite me back.

Cumin was a chapter that I did not like during the first round. Philanthropy round changed my opinion by 180 degrees! I talked to one woman about cats and science for our entire conversation. We were so much alike that it felt like I was talking to a friend. All of the other women I talked to were open and friendly, and I was not ready to leave. It only helped that they were very involved in their philanthropy and were knowledgeable on the details when I asked questions. I left with a new view of this chapter, and I was honestly hoping they would invite me back, a far cry from the last round!

Cayenne Pepper was a chapter that I loved during the previous round. Unfortunately, it felt lackluster during philanthropy. I loved their philanthropy, but my questions weren't answered and I felt that the women may not have been as passionate about it. My conversations were also less engaging. I spoke to the woman who had been my orientation leader, but the conversation was still on the dull side. I was beginning to doubt how well I would fit in this chapter.

Garlic was again in the middle for me. They were not the worst, but I did not get a great connection with any of the women I talked to. The philanthropy was unique and I enjoyed talking to the women about it, as they truly cared about it. The conversations beyond the philanthropy fell a little flat, though. The women were sweet, and I felt like I could fit in here, but it was not a stand out like Chili orCumin at this point.

Paprika was the last chapter of my day. I talked to an entire bump group of women that I knew, and the conversations went incredibly well! I hardly had the chance to ask questions about the philanthropy or anything else, which I was a little disappointed in. I liked these women, but I wanted to learn about the philanthropy! In the end I chalked it up to we were having so much fun that it would be a conversation for another day. I was excited to return to this chapter, should they invite me.

My day ended quite early, so I spent the evening relaxing and ordered take out food. I spent a long time reflecting on my day and ranked by myself for reference, as the group ranking would be at the end of the next day. I had no rounds the next day, which was a huge blessing because it snowed, and I got to stay snug and warm inside!

Ranking was top 9-bottom 7, and since I only had 6, all of the chapters were in the top section. I ranked the chapters in order for my reference.

Top:
Chili
Paprika
Cumin
Sage
Garlic
Cayenne Pepper

To Bind, To Strive, To Aid