View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ If you haven't read In Search of Sisterhood, I highly recommend it. Although it's the story of DST, I consider it a true slice of what each of the first 8 NPHC organizations went through for expansion.

To directly answer your question though, I do believe that we had long had stringent expansion policies in place, including the "rating" of the school. I'm not sure how accreditation worked back then, but if you look at our initial chapters, they were pretty great schools on the whole, and only 7 were HBCUs.

I *think* we wouldn't expand to any school without a certain rating, and that excluded many HBCUs in the early years. However, as discussions were held about the fairness and equity of the rating system, and whether this excluded qualified men who were denied the opportunity to attend "better" schools, whether racially or economically, the system was relaxed.

But never to the point where we'd be allowed to function on unaccredited campuses. The bros from Iota Chapter mostly transferred to Morehouse and Clark-Atlanta with no questions asked.