View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

I accidentally scrolled too far and read the comments section instead of the article. I have yet to read the actual article. I found this comment interesting. It's really long and here's the middle of the comment:

"BGLO continued the mission of great pioneers such as the Quakers (White I might add) who founded Howard University for BLACK students because they weren't allowed at most institutions at the time. They participated in the 1930s Women's Suffrage Marches to support women of ALL races in their efforts to be recognized as citizens and NOT property. Yes the majority of BGLO members are Black. But the majority of Pan-Hellenic groups are White. What is your point?! We didn't join because our fellow members' skin color resembled ours. We joined to CONTINUE the legacy set forth."

I agree with her assessment of the other reasons why BGLOers generally join BGLOs. However, she spoke too definitively on the bolded. One of the reasons that I pursued a BGLO is because it is predominantly Black and African diasporic. There's nothing wrong with that and I believe that plenty of NPHC, NPC, and NIC members feel that way (whether they admit it or not). Such social constructs are connected to history and traditions and factor into how people are prepared for recruitment/membership since birth.