View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Did any of you know which BGLO you wanted to join before you knew what college you were even going to?

If so how much did the national stereotypes or outside pressure play up to the reasons why you joined that fraternity or sorority?

Of course that's probably a question a lot of people might not feel comfortable answering, but I look forward to hearing from those that do want to share.

-Rudey
Yes, I knew that I was going to be a Delta since I was a small child. My mother is a Delta and actually was a chartering member of an Alumnae chapter in Atlanta which she and some other sorors chartered following their undergraduate studies when they pledged in the 70's. Growing up I learned so much about what it really meant to be a Delta woman as I saw my mother carrying out business in the Sorority as well as being such a good mother and taking care of our family. She is the best example I have ever had of a strong Delta woman. Because I had such first hand knowledge of what it took and meant to be a Delta, as I got older, the stereotypes didn't bother me. I was fortunate to know that they were based on marginal situations and not the true essence of the purpose and existence of Delta Sigma Theta.