View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_made032 View Post
Will deff start looking for recs thank you! As for the 2nd part of my question. People I've talked to in the past and other posts I've seen on this site mostly say, knowing a current sorority member that goes to ur school will MAJORLY help ur chances of getting a bid so that they "can vouch for u". If i dont know any current members at my college won't this hurt my chances?!?!
Oh ok. Sorry about that - I can see how our advice there could be confusing for you. Like 33girl said, we are usually directing that advice more towards sophomores, juniors and seniors, especially when they are rushing for a second time. That advice *might* also apply to second semester freshmen who are rushing in the spring. But for a brand new freshman? Not as much.

When we say that you want members in the chapter who will "vouch for you", we don't really mean that one sorority member could sway the whole chapter in your favor because she met you during a campus tour. I can't get into specifics because our membership selection procedures are secret; but, one woman generally can't vouch for you and get you a bid. What we're really trying to say here is that, if some sorority women know you from a class, and you're always a friendly student, good contributor in class, etc, then it leaves a good impression and they will remember you well later when they see you at recruitment.

However, as a first-time out-of-state freshman, your only chances to interact ahead of time are at places like the sorority tables during the campus club fair during new student orientation or the first week of school. So, as TXDG said, one of the sorority members might remember you as that really nice girl that stopped by the club fair table.

I hope this helps!

True and Constant