View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
I think that so many people rush thinking they'll have a perfect rush, pledge the *best* sorority, and immediately be surrounded by instant lifelong friends.

Being in a sorority is work. It's a PR campaign, it's time management, and networking, and event planning. Sometimes it's arts and crafts, sometimes it's peer counseling, or first aid. You're an advice columnist, mediator, hostess, fundraiser, and negoitiator. This is on top of being a student. And any offices held or commitees joined...

But learning to work hard together builds friendships worth maintaining. I appreciate the effort I put into it, because I look at the work I did in the 90s and know it paved the way for the young women who will be initiated next month. And I know that I am part of something much bigger with an amazing history.

It's trite, I know. But you will get out of it what you put into it.
I've never read a truer statement. I WAS that PNM who thought she'd waltz into recruitment and automatically click with the "top" chapter at my university. When I didn't end up at that chapter after a few rounds, I found a new favorite, and luckily ended up with a bid to that group. I love my sisters and my organization with my whole heart, but it has never been effortless. For the past four years I've made the choice to join committees and chair positions, participate in extra activities, and spend time at the house talking with girls I don't know too well because YOU GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT. I was that girl who thought joining a sorority would make everything in my life perfect, but if these past four years have taught me anything, it's that my sorority will still be there for me when I need them, because I have been there for them, even if sometimes that's just showing up.