View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
"very unique"

My English major soul is righteously indignant. Forgive it, please.

- this is a BBS and casual language is the general rule here. Look-up a definition of “uniqueness” in the online Webster dictionary and you will find it. New words are constantly used and coined in casual conversation and in informal written prose. I suggest you look-up etiquette for posting on BBS because the general rule of thumb is not to correct casual language use. Last time I checked this forum is not for the submission of a formal paper.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unique

unique

adjective \yu̇-ˈnēk\

Definition of UNIQUE

: being the only one : sole <his unique concern was his own comfort> <I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? — Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>

a: being without a like or equal : unequaled <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique— Robert Coover>
b: distinctively characteristic : peculiar 1 <this is not a condition unique to California — Ronald Reagan>

: unusual <a very unique ball-point pen> <we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch — J. D. Salinger>
unique·lyadverb
unique·nessnoun

I am using this word in the sense that she has an unusual personality that is associated with highly gifted individuals.

Here is an excerpt from a gifted website that I think accurately describes her personality and personality traits common to exceptionally gifted: “ ..show incredible intensity in energy, imagination, intellectual prowess, sensitivity, and emotion which are not typical in the general population”.
I think the real issue is that some people can't accept that some people are genuinely gifted and that they really are different. My daughter dances 25-35 hours/ week, puts in minimal time studying and is first in her class out of 700 students. She does all this while being advanced by 2-3 years in math and science courses and will have taken 13 AP courses when she graduates.
However, it is the intensity of her personality that makes her unique- or if you prefer- "unusual" compared to other teens her age.

Last edited by JLCo; 01-25-2013 at 02:28 PM.