View Single Post
Old 07-25-2022, 05:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
At Bloomsburg, we have (had) half nationals and half locals. There was always an argument for going local or going national, and honestly, most of the PNMs didn't care. They were more worried about where they fit and if they were in the most popular chapters.

When Bloomsburg got rid of Greeks in 2021, it became open season for all of the locals. There are still around 6 national groups that recognize their chapters at Bloomsburg, even though the school does not. One of the NPC groups had a group of women in their chapter basically say why do we have to follow all these rules if the locals don't, and they broke away from their NPC and formed their own local. Because of the hazing on this campus, this place is a powder keg for the locals. Someone will likely get hurt soon enough, and if it's a local, I can't even imagine what the financial repercussions will be.

Needless to say, all of the groups who had once existed on campus have come back and are now local, and lord only knows what rules they may have. It's the wild wild west for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
While I am certainly not a fan of local sororities (since they often decide that hazing is a good idea), I can see their appeal. I have often questioned the wisdom of a NPC group opening a chapter at a small school where the student body is primarily local and they intend to stay local. Small chapters are difficult because the shared costs are spread to so few members. If the students see no benefit from a nationwide network of alumnae, why pay the costs?