View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnmin2010 View Post
I have recently been reading a bunch of the recruitment stories from the past and I absolutely love them and this encouraged me to post my own Fall 2010 recruitment story (it also is great to relive these memories!)

As the title suggests, I was a Greek virgin. None of my family was ever Greek, none of my friends went Greek (with the exception of one friend of a friend), and it really wasn’t my intention at all to go Greek. Because, let’s face it, when you don’t actually know anyone in the Greek system the only thing I had to base it on was TV Shows and Movies. Now granted I love me some Legally Blonde and Greek is one of my favorite shows but I just didn’t see myself fitting in to that life, at all.

But, on the other hand, I was a Freshman going to a school that none of my best-friends were going to, and I knew I needed to find people that would be bridesmaids at my wedding and lifelong friends. My best friend suggested going Greek. I was hesitant, going back and forth, but decided that recruitment didn’t equal commitment, and so my journey began.

We have 7 NPC sororities at my school which, even though I would prefer to not use code names, I don’t want to say anything that could offend anyone or any group. Therefore, I will name them after 7 household items.
  1. Scissors
  2. Glue
  3. Ruler
  4. Pen
  5. Pencil
  6. Eraser
  7. Stapler
Now I don’t know how much detail ya’ll are wanting so if this intro is boring you, skip ahead, because there is a bit more to come.

So, a couple of interesting things. For one, I had to miss the first day of recruitment. My Uncle was getting married and for my family it
was a very big deal since it was only the second wedding I’ve ever attended. I had to be there. I don’t know how much that affected things but it is something to keep in mind.

Secondly, I actually knew what chapter my Rho Chi was from, from the very beginning. Because of me missing the first day, I missed some of the orientation and was sent a different e-mail from my Rho Chi than everyone else. She accidentally attached the wrong form. It was called “Rho-Chi Questions” so I had no suspicions that it was the wrong thing. But then I read the top part and saw their sorority and knew that this was a mistake. It turns out she had sent me her answers to the questions required for her Rho Chi application. Needless to say, this made things a bit different. I really liked my Rho Chi and she was nice and I give her credit for the way she handled all of my ranking sessions with her since I knew at points I could be hurting her feelings. I will say now that she was a member of Glue just so you can follow the story better.

Finally, I had heard a few things about sororities as I went into recruitment even though I tried to keep an open mind. The only person that I knew who was Greek happened to go to my school and kind of gave me some of the stereotypes. However, I ended up debunking these in my trip through recruitment as I met wonderful girls all around.

More to come tomorrow with my first day (second day for everyone else!)

can't wait to hear the rest