View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I hope that Panhellenic will rethink having the sororities who aren't participating at the meeting. Several of you GCers might remember when on one campus, 2 sororities decided to co-host a COB event. I was surprised because I knew that one sorority had to be way above total; the other was struggling.

So they had their party and bids were extended later--only to the struggling group! Lots of angry PNMs were saying, "Hey! We didn't show up to be rushed by that group, we wanted the other one!" Few bids were accepted and even fewer stayed in the group...1 or 2, we heard.

No one in either group would talk about it but all anyone could figure out was that maybe someone in the much bigger group felt sorry for friends in the other one and agreed to co-host the party? Definitely, honesty is the best policy in informal recruitment.
This would have been a great idea and been awesome as far as showing Panhellenic unity/no matter the letter we're all Greek together...IF they had been straight up about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It sounds like a mis-guided attempt to remove the stigma of participating in informal rush.
Yes. When actually, it's only making the stigma WORSE because it's almost like they're saying "OMG, if the "good" sororities aren't included, no one will show up."

I can see the merit of having all the groups present so women who haven't done anything where sororities are concerned (in particular, transfers) know what all their options are, but it should be made absolutely, positively, so obvious that Stevie Wonder can see it CLEAR which sororities are bidding women at this time and which are not.