View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you 110% sure that what you're majoring in will be your career for the next 40 years? That you'll never, never ever change it or consider going back to school?

I didn't think so.

I know you English majors hate math, or that the engineering students could care less about diagramming a sentence, but DO take classes outside of your field of interest. Take some challenging courses, like Philosophy or Economics instead of the fluff courses like Tennis & Self Defense for Women. This will help you learn to think more analytically, and if/when you go to apply to graduate school, these courses will be more seriously regarded. Whatever classes you do take, take them seriously. Grades are of little importance for post-graduation entry level classes, but they become HUGELY important for advanced degrees. And again, unless your 10000000% certain that you'll never, ever have any other career than the one you are planning now, take this advice. (See, I was one of those people-- completely sure--- and 6 years post-grad, I'm going back to school! I'm glad I got good grades then, but if I had to do it over, my course selection would be more varied.)

Also, rah-rah-Hooray for Greek Life. Get involved, but you need to get involved with other activities, too. Most (not all, but a decent chunk) employers and graduate admissions offices see Greek Life as frivolous or they buy into the stereotypes, so your 4 year membership in ABC can be viewed as trite, when someone else with the same grades has had internships and leadership in honor societies, pre-professional organizations and student government. Make a life in the sorority and have fun and hold offices, but also get involved on campus. This will help you to become more well-rounded and also keep you sane (living and working with 60+ women during the school year can be fun and draining at the same time).