View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGAChiO View Post
There is another way around the situation for your daughter. I am not condoning this in any way but I saw this happen many times in my chapter and other sororities at my school. Girls from UGA who were not able to get in the chapter they wanted transferred mid-year to my school where they tried to pick up a bid through COB and then if successful, they pledged, initiated, then transfered back to UGA the next year and petitioned for affiliation with that chapter.
I've heard stories about this sort of thing happening too. I've heard of girls deciding which sorority they want to belong to at the big ultra-competitive University. They research small schools and pick one with a weak Chapter of that sorority. Presumably it's easy to pledge there. They don't want to run the risk of getting cut or "stuck" with a bid to another sorority on their intended campus. So after initiating, they transfer at the end of that first semester.

Problem is they didn't count on not being welcomed with open arms as a sister. They're shocked to discover that the Chapter wasn't obligated to let them affiliate. So they wind up being a 2nd semester Freshman on alum status. Not quite what they had in mind for their college years.