View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I like lists of prominent (as opposed to famous) alumni of all Greek organizations because one of the strengths of the GLOs is that we prepare men and women to go on and succeed - with leadership, speaking, organization and other skills. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding - all those lists of prominent alumni show that we aren't just blowing smoke.
I don't think anyone is going to pledge a GLO because of this or that alum. At least, I hope not! And we should all take pride when a member of ANY GLO distinguishes his/her self - it all reflects well on us. I'm always tickled when an alumni of my alma mater does well - why wouldn't that hold true for my sorority as well?
I don't disagree with you, but I think another side of the argument could be that not everyone goes into a field with the potential of becoming noteworthy. Is a great teacher less successful than a prominent actress? Lists of prominent alumnae tend to weigh heavily on the fields of entertainment, athletics, and a few others. A great testament to Greek life is the number of alumnae who lead happy, productive lives, whether or not they have become CEOs, Grammy winners, etc. I think that this is AOII's official position on this. I don't think it has anything to do with not being proud of "famous" members. I think they just don't want to overplay that pride since the bread and butter of our fraternity are our everyday, "normal," and committed members.