View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OhioCentaur Send a message via Yahoo to OhioCentaur
Quote:
Originally posted by I_Love_Penguins
At my campus, spring rush was a week long. I'm not sure about how we do fall rush. I'm assuming same length. I would think this is a campus to campus factor though. I would say our school definitely didn't do as extensive of rush as some other schools do judging by what I've heard on here.

Anyway, I figured I'd contribute with my tips on what not to do or say during rush:

I agree with those who have already said don't ever utter the words "When I am a sister at XYZ I will...." I never did this to my memory, but my friend went through rush with me and she talked about the sorority banquet and getting her letters as if she had already been in. She was even convinced that someone who asked her to add her as a friend on Myspace was a member of the sorority she wanted. I looked at the profile and disagreed, but she pretty much ignored my advice saying that she thinks this girl might've been in her top choice sorority and that the add on Myspace was a way of looking into her. I think this killed her. She got way too hyper about the whole thing, then didn't get a bid and ended up upset.

So overall, I'd say...DON'T act like you are guaranteed an in to the sorority no matter how much you click with the girls and don't take every little thing during rush so seriously. You'll end up let down, in my opinion.

The other tip I have comes from a mistake I made during rush that may have hurt me. (I cannot prove that it did; I am just saying it's possible.) On my way back from opens and informals, I said some bad things about the sororities I didn't click with. The girls weren't mean but I did say some things about how I feel like I didn't fit in with ABC and LMN as I was leaving parties. I wish I hadn't opened my mouth while walking back to my room, LOL. I admit I made a mistake...I wish I had waited until I was back in the privacy of my room on the phone or something to give off my impressions instead of opening my mouth on the way back from parties.

Lastly, no matter how much you don't click with a sorority, stay polite. I noticed at our open round that there was a girl in my group who wasn't smiling and looked miserable. I was pretty shocked. I met a sorority I didn't click with but I still did my very best to pay attention to the girl speaking to me and participate in the icebreakers without looking so unhappy. It's really rude when you look like you can't wait to leave the party. Just grin and bear it!
LOL... i'm sorry i wasnt asking for real thats just something i know i've heard asked by people trying to become delts and they were turned away lol.