View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

A Shoe-In Recruitment

I've never really talked about my recruitment experience, and admittedly I'm just going to be a sophomore this year experiencing formal recruitment from the other side.

My school has four GLOs that participate in formal recruitment:Sperry's, Steve Madden, Jack Rogers, and Converse. It was five days long: two rotationals (one "get-to-know-us" type and the other being philanthropy), first invitational, house tour (second invitational), and preference. Bid day took place on the same day as preference. The first three days are set up in our alumni house and all of the PNMs are led from room to room by their Rho Chis. The other two days we were driven from house to house by Rho Chis.

DAY 1: ROTATIONAL
Jack Rogers: This house was the first house of the day. I hadn't heard much about them from other PNMs. I talked to a few girls, which was good -- the one I was first matched up with intimidated me a little bit! They seemed like a bunch of really fun, sweet girls and I liked them a lot. Their theme for the night was Hawaiian luau.

Sperry's: At first I was REALLY intimidated by these girls. I didn't know how many I talked to! They were all ridiculously pretty and I was honestly in shock for most of the time and kind of overwhelmed. I had heard rumors about them being a party house, but I tried to ignore that and they were really nice girls. I kept getting compliments on my leopard print rainboots! Overall I thought they were, to be honest, way too pretty for me. Their theme for the night focused on their colors and national symbols, but I spent so much time talking to girls that I didn't get a chance to check them out!

Converse: I knew right off the bat that this house wasn't the best fit for me. The girl who was matched with me was nice, but we didn't have a great connection. They weren't an NPC organization and were only open to certain majors. I probably wouldn't have minded, but they didn't emphasize their sisterhood enough to me, which turned me off from them.

Steve Madden: I was really excited to talk to these girls. My school does a mentoring program, and my mentor was a member here. I was so excited to talk to her! They were nice girls, but I was scared because it didn't feel like a good fit. But my mentor was sweet and I really wanted to give them another chance. Their theme was a winter wonderland theme.

At the end of the day we could rank two top choices, one second choice, and our last choice.

My order
1. Steve Madden
1. Jack Rogers
2. Sperry's
3. Converse

DAY 2: ROTATIONAL
(No cuts are made this early, to my knowledge)
This day was the philanthropy day!

Jack Rogers: I felt a huge connection with their philanthropy as it was something I considered close to my heart. We sat down and did a craft and I just got along so well with the girls I talked to. They just made me so smiley and I kept laughing and conversation wasn't awkward at all.

Sperry's: I felt a connection with their philanthropy as well, since I had a close friend affected by it. I enjoyed talking with these girls but still didn't feel a big of a connection as I did with JR.

Converse: I was still sure, especially after this day, that I was not meant for this house. I felt like I led the conversation with the sisters. I didn't feel any particular connection with the philanthropy, either. I was (to be completely honest) really hoping that I wasn't invited back.

Steve Madden: These girls were so cute in their philanthropy shirts! I thought these girls were really bubbly and nice. It wasn't as big of a connection as it was with JR. It was probably worse than Sperry's, too, because I think I was biased because of my mentor.

By the end of the day my rankings were the same as before:
1. Steve Madden / Jack Rogers
2. Sperry's
3. Converse

In the next post... cuts begin!

Last edited by lunalovegood; 07-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.