View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

This is an old post thread, but I'm new here...

I think comparing NPHC organization with other organizations is comparing apples with oranges, particularly when comparing a sorority with Jack and Jill which is, at it's core, a leadership development program for our children. A sorority is NOT Jack and Jill, but Jack and Jill is most certainly NOT a sorority. Someday I will tenure out of Jack and Jill, but when I die, I'll go to Omega Omega chapter. I'll be a Delta beyond the grave...

The Links, Incorporated emphasizes 'friendship', and uses the term 'friendship' in lieu of 'sisterhood', but would be closer in its' mission to a public service focused sorority than would Jack and Jill. In fact there is a minimum requirements for service hours in order to remain in good standing, but again, some day we will all tenure out of The Links, if blessed to live so long...

I'm not a Girlfriend, but I have a Jack and Jill sister-mom who is, and she gives me the impression that the Girlfriends are a bit more social and relaxed with a much less intense public service arm...

And some of us are legacies of our NPHC organizations, but we are legacies of other organizations as well, and we have fond memories of our mothers enjoying all of their affiliations and grow up anticipating the same for ourselves...

Each organization is unique and can meet a need at a particular point in ones life, that another organization doesn't - or not - but for me the Sorority is set apart. It's not just an organization. It is NOT a club. It's a SISTERHOOD.