View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

As with anything, you get out of it what you put in. If you are avoiding events because you haven't connected with anyone (yet) you probably feel even worse every time you do show up. Others are forming bonds and you likely feel like an outsider. That closeness, for them, is developing because they are putting more of themselves out there. This is not an experience that you can simply observe.

You have to decide if Greek life is important to you and if you really want to make it work. It is expensive and time consuming. But, for those of us with more years to reflect on it, we know how rewarding our sisterhoods have been. I truly believe it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Membership beyond college has been deeply satisfying on many levels.

At this juncture, you have two choices and joining another NPC group is not one of them. You can resign and always wonder if you gave up something that could have been cherished. Or, you can throw your heart and soul into it. If you haven't yet, as has been said, really put yourself out there.

Invite your Big or a few members to dinner, or over to your place before a larger chapter event. Make it a point to really welcome and connect with every new member this semester. Volunteer for a leadership position and show up to every philanthropy event.

If after an entire semester of being the most enthusiastic member of your chapter and reaching out beyond your comfort zone, you still don't feel a connection, then you can resign without a lifetime of wondering if you did the most you could to make it work.

I believe that you will find that you contemplated giving up before really scratching the surface. Good luck to you.