View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Youth rebels because it must. I see young people quitting their greek orgs and then raising a stink to get attention for themselves, instead of working with their fellow brothers and sisters to improve the situations they perceive as "wrong" and "hurtful".

Be that friend upon whom your brother and sister greeks can rely. Live your rituals. Help your fellow greeks grow through mutual education and actions.

All people can learn, and their teachers don't need to quit on them to make their points.
I'm sad to see that some are not using this opportunity to bring about change in their groups but are simply abandoning their groups.

An opinion piece from a gay Alpha Tau Omega member at Duke University who shares his experience in being welcomed and accepted by his fraternity brothers but not by the gay community at the university.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...greek-life-ato

Quote:
I am not saying the Greek system is without its faults. Anyone can see it has many, but we are actively working towards righting those wrongs. The current movement to abolish the Greek life system at Duke fails to consider people like me: people who are welcomed into a community with open arms and embraced for who we are, including our differences. I have found my home at Duke when other communities denied my identity. What I am asking is to consider and not discredit the positive experiences minorities have found within the Greek system, or other areas of campus traditionally thought of as homophobic, racist, etc. I speak only on my experiences, but I also know I am not the only one. Quieting voices like mine perpetuates these intolerances by pigeonholing minorities into the stereotypes accepted by society. I am gay and I am damn proud of it, regardless of how many times I will be told I am not because I do not conform. And if my community, my safe space, where I feel I like I finally belong, is with my brothers, is that so wrong?

Last edited by TLLK; 08-05-2020 at 09:04 PM.