Thread: Night Owls
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll start...
- We launched an association website, FINALLY, using kappa.org's hosting. We've received three emails from the site over the last month with people interested in checking out events.
- We broadened our activity options. It started out with just a day group which was very restrictive by nature. We added a monthly dinner group, which got some interest. Then we added a book club and have been contacted by people we've never met. We also tried adding a mom's group, but unfortunately the organizer's husband was relocated so they moved.
- We beefed up non-daytime activities in our newsletter, as well as online. There's a page for each so it doesn't show a heavy slant one way or another.
- We've increased use of technology- the website has been a huge help, and we've also been using evites for a few years. We started an association email address as well so that they don't all come straight from me :-)

Some challenges we face:
- The business meetings are over lunch on a weekday, and last several hours. I have never been able to attend, even though I'm Night Owls chair, and they are unlikely to ever change the date/time.
- Most events are during the day- cultural, philanthropic, social, and business. The only annual event that is not during the day is the annual holiday party.
- Because it is a historically older association, many younger members automatically join a different association that is close by.
- The majority of the association is not part of Night Owls, so while we are technically supported we have had difficulty with basic things like getting budget for a membership drive mailing or trying to have business meetings alternate between day & evening (or find a common time).

Last edited by thetygerlily; 10-08-2009 at 12:58 PM.