Thread: My AI adventure
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I don't know. I'm a general adviser, and I'm an AI. I always joke that those poor girls had no one else, so they got stuck with me. :-) I think my connections at the university (I was a part-time, later full-time employee) and in my fields (communications and coaching) gave me some perspectives that helped the chapter. But it really was a case of there not being alumnae in the area to serve.

I also had connections to the chapter - my sister was a former treasurer and president, and at the time I was asked, I was coaching one of the sisters. It was at my alma mater, so I was familiar with the chapter as well.

Was I the greatest choice of adviser? Probably not. But I did my best (and still do) to learn everything I could to be a good adviser. I read everything I could. I came to GC. :-) I connected with other advisers. I went to officer training. To me, being initiated was -- in addition to being a great honor -- a way to better serve this chapter that I had quickly grown to love.

When you have a chapter that's geographically isolated, with no nearby alumnae chapter, just knowing that someone cares enough to help you out can mean a lot.