View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarose View Post
I love this! I'm working to start a chapter at my university- how do you find people who choose KBG over Panhel?
I would say, that is the same question that all NPC groups must ask themselves. How do you get a pnm to select ABC over XYZ? You have to offer something that the women are looking for that separates you from the other options. Collegians are busy and have limited resources of time and money. There are literally hundreds of campus organizations that they can join. It shouldn't be a specific question of how do you get members to choose an unaffiliated group over a Panhel group. It should be how do we differentiate our offering from every other club on campus. I would think especially for a sorority focused on a particular major, this would be easy. There is a reason that people join business fraternities over social fraternities. You need to find members who are looking for what you specialize in.

At Penn State, for example, they have 3 Associate members of Panhellenic. These three sororities are not NPC members but are permitted to participate in formal recruitment. They have individual focus, such as Agriculture or Engineering, etc. The women that choose to join these organizations are probably seeking mentors or a smaller chapter size, etc.

Ask your existing members what inspired them to join. Then, take that and market it to others who are interested in what makes your group special.