View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb A very Scandinavian recruitment story!

I go to WashJeff in Washington, Pennsylvania. We are a lovely small school with a huge focus on Greek life with 10 Greek organizations, 6 fraternities and 4 sororities.

Our recruitment is held in spring semester, February to be exact, and it is five days of happiness. At first, I was not sure about recruitment not being in Fall, but after getting situated into college and really having to succeed in college. I was grateful that I was forced to get onto my feet before I could rush. Having to make academics a priority proved to me that I could succeed academically in a sorority and I had time to continue saving up. What I did not like was that I had time to listen to a semester of gossip and opinions from every PNM and sorority sister.

There were also various events for each sorority during fall semester that PNMs could attend.

The Rounds:
Greek Information Session.
Sorority Information Session.
Open House.
Sisterhood.
Preference.
Bid Day.

The information sessions involved tabling and talking. They were lovely

Rush is held out of the Old Main Chapel instead of the sorority houses but Bid Day takes you from the chapel to the sorority houses.

The average class is around 27.

Open House Houses:

Denmark:
The Danish girls were lovely. They made every conversation flow smoothly, they were considered a “socially awkward” sorority but they made every single second seem fluid and natural. I enjoyed my time so much and I accidentally stayed sitting for a second to finish my conversation when it was time for me to move on. They also followed me on Instagram right before I graduated (I followed them first) and they made an effort to get to know me and ask me personalized questions about travel and such.

Sweden:
Sweden was nice, Sweden was really really nice. The girls from Sweden were so nice that they defied the odds. The conversations at Sweden were upbeat and interesting, the girls made me laugh so hard I cried a bit, we talked about so many things but I was left wondering what would be unsaid if I didn’t rank them high enough to see them again the next day.

Norway:
I loved the Norwegian girls, they had everything covered and the conversations were funny and interesting, they made sure that everyone was having a great time and they kept everything flowing smoothly. Everyone was laughing and talking, they made sure that there was no room for any sort of insecurity or silence.

Finland:
Finland is supposedly the most in demand popular sorority but there was nothing there for me. The conversations didn’t flow and the sisters didn’t ask questions, they made broad statements and were looking for a certain type of girl to join their house. I fit the look but I got a really strange feeling from the sisters. They were very friendly but they seemed almost too friendly. I liked them but didn’t see myself as a sister.

I ranked the houses like this:
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Finland

That night I went back to my dorm and everyone was talking. It seems like I had ranked my houses wrong, everyone had ranked Finland first and then Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. The gossip was unbearable and no one really had anything positive to say so I made supper, wrote down my reflections for the day, put on a movie, and went to sleep.