View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

ROUND 1!

I woke up the morning of Round 1 with butterflies in my stomach. After months of everyone constantly discussing rush, it was finally here. We were given t-shirts to wear for the first day, so I wasn't too concerned with my outfit. We were to meet in designated classrooms with our Rho Gamma group each morning to get our schedules, so I quickly got ready.

I would just like to say that although it's bad, I knew a lot of the sorority "stereotypes" prior to going through rush. It was all many of my friends had been discussing pretty much since we got to college, and there was also a website circulating (terrible i know) listing all of the sororities in their "tiers". However, I was determined to go through rush with an open mind and ignore the things I had heard.

For the first day, we would be spending 20 minutes at each house with our Rho Gamma groups. Our Rho Gammas warned us about the singing and cheering we would encounter as soon as each door opened so that we would not be too overwhelmed. I will list the houses in the order that I attended them.

Puerto Vallarta- As my first house of rush, I did not know really what to expect. I found that in every house, we were brought to a seat and different people would rotate in to talk to us one-on-one. I did not know very much about Puerto Vallarta prior to rush, but I did like them at Expo. The three girls I talked to were all very nice, one was a little awkward but overall I had a good experience and enjoyed this house. I knew I would be happy to return here for a second day.

Panama City- I arrived at this house with preconceptions that I would not fit in here as I did not fit the stereotype that came along with this house, and I found this house to be overall pretty overwhelming. The cheers were MUCH more intense than at Puerto Vallarta, and although the girls I spoke to were all pretty nice, I left agreeing with what I had originally heard that I would not want to be a part of this chapter. Also, although it didn't happen to me, a few girls in my Rho Gamma group reported that some of the sisters had come off as rude to them. They seemed like a great group of girls with a strong sisterhood, but I truly did not feel I would fit in. Leaving this chapter, I knew I would not be upset if I did not return here.

Orlando- This house unfortunately has the most negative stereotype on campus, and the rumor was (which I know now is true) is that they have a MUCH lower membership than the other chapters (they have less than 30% of the amount of members as the other chapters) but I was determined to approach this house with an open mind. However, the first girl I spoke with was very awkward and made me uncomfortable as she was actually unable to hold a conversation. I only spoke to one other girl here, and I liked her much better only to have her tell me that she actually does not attend my university, she and some of her sisters were brought here from another university to help out with Orlando's rush. If I were to become a member of Orlando, I would not be chapter sisters with the girl I actually liked. Sadly, I left knowing that I was definitely going to cut this chapter.

Cancun- I was very excited to come to this house, and I LOVED it. I knew several girls here from my high school, and they all came up and said hi to me. All three girls I spoke to were hilarious and so sweet, and this was the first house of the day that I really felt I could belong in. Also, I should probably mention that one of my Rho Gammas who I already knew prior to rush is in this chapter, and she's awesome. I had never heard a bad thing about Cancun, and I could see why after visiting this house.

Acapulco- This house was next, and it was the other house that I knew girls in from high school. I am not as friendly with the girls from my high school here as I am with the ones in Cancun, but I was still excited to see the house. The girls were all beautiful and the four girls I spoke with were very nice. We did not really get into deeper conversations than the general "major, where you live, etc" like I had in some of the other chapters, but I left feeling I would like to come back but I would not be devastated if I did not.

Punta Cana- I was very excited to visit this house as my good friend Lindsay had always spoken well of it and I had met several of her friends throughout the previous semester and had gotten along well with all of them. Also, my other Rho Gamma who I knew prior (because of Lindsay) and who I loved was in this chapter. I talked to three girls I had never met before, and got along great with all of them. Punta Cana did not disappoint, and they were my second favorite house of the day so far after Cancun.

Las Vegas- It was only halfway through the day, but I was already exhausted. I was having a lot of fun though, and I was very excited to see Las Vegas because of my friend Emily. All I can say is I had a GREAT time here. I got along so well with all of the girls I met and they were all so cute. After visiting Las Vegas, they were easily my favorite house of the day and I knew I would be devastated if I did not return for Round 2.

Montego Bay- Rumor had it that this house was the "top" house on campus. After going there, I could easily see why as all of the girls were beautiful and so outgoing. Their outfits were so cute and they seemed like such a fun group of girls. I really enjoyed my conversations with all of the girls I met, and wanted to return for Round 2.

Cabo- I had heard that Cabo is very similar to Panama City, and I did not think I would fit in here. However, this house surprised me as I got along great with the girls I talked to and enjoyed my time here a lot. I did not think this was the house I would ultimately end up in, but I had a good time and would not mind going back and seeing more of Cabo.

San Juan- This house is very new to campus, and because of this rumor was going around that there was a strange mix of girls in the house because they had taken a pledge class of about 100 all at once the previous year, and it was a VERY mixed group of girls. I was pleasantly surprised as I really liked two of the girls I talked to, and the other two were just okay. One was very awkward, but I was willing to give this group a second chance.

Nassau- Almost to the end of the day! We were all so tired, but I was excited to see this house as I had heard nothing but great things. The girls were all sooo cute and outgoing, and I had a fantastic time here. Just from our lunch break, I had already been hearing so many good things about them and they did not prove me wrong. I hoped I would get to return here for a second day.

Miami- Whew, last house! This house is also considered a "top" house on campus and although I was so exhausted, I still managed to have a great time here. The three girls I met were all so sweet and I knew I wanted to return here again.

At the end of the day, my floor and I all discussed what we liked and what we did not. Almost all my friends loved Cancun, Nassau, Montego Bay, Punta Cana, and Las Vegas. A few girls on my floor also really enjoyed Panama City , Cabo, and Acapulco. As you can see, there was quite a diverse mix of what we all liked!!

At the end of Round 1, we could keep 9 houses and then rank our last 3 that we wished to cut. I did as follows:
1. Las Vegas
1. Cancun
1. Nassau
1. Punta Cana
1. Montego Bay
1. Miami
1. Acapulco
1. Puerto Vallarta
1. Cabo
2. San Juan
3. Panama City
4. Orlando

I'll probably post Round 2 tomorrow...sorry that I get so wordy but thanks for reading

Last edited by icecream123; 04-11-2012 at 02:15 AM.