View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaCat View Post
If recruitment just ended (was in informal? This seems like a weird time, but I'll accept it at face value), that might have something to do with the tension. Sometimes group activities have a bonding effect, other times the stress brings out the worst in people. If numbers are low and there's constant pressure to recruit, then it's natural to expect that everybody's on edge.
Not sure it was formal or informal -- I saw a lot of advertisements for "Greek Week" around campus, but it's not in my (professional) lane, so I don't really know much other than that and what my students tell me.

I know that my student did say that her sorority's numbers will be low next year because they have a lot of seniors graduating. One thing we did talk about was whether that could be a good thing for her.

There are no sorority houses, so it's not a matter of living there. I do think part of it is a cycle - she feels left out, so she doesn't go to activities, which makes her feel more left out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
I would also ask if this is coming from her internally (ie grass is greener) or if there’s someone new in her life - friend, boyfriend - putting this in her ear.
It seems mostly internal, but then again, there may be external pressure that I don't know about.