View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Everyone! So I had three parties today and it was a pretty good day. If anything it clarified the picture for me. Our Rho Chis stressed today that we needed to look around at who we were at parties with because these could potentially be our sisters and girls that pledge together tend to be the tightest with each other. Well that complicated things because some of the girls I am going through recruitment with are literally hot messes and I am not sure in the long term if I could cope with them. So maybe I should shift my strategy and just list the houses they don’t. Lol…I am just kidding but it certainly is another factor.

So here is how the day went:

Sarge: I of course had a different girl today and she was a little awkward. I don’t know what it was about her but she just had this really weird laugh that makes you want to put your finger over your mouth and say “shhh.” I literally felt like people were looking at us when she would laugh. Anyway I got bumped to a different girl and I really liked her. I enjoyed talking to her about their philanthropy. I didn’t know this then, but I did at the end of the day and I know this will be in my bottom two.

Bo-Ok so this house is just super spirited and I really like them but it is very much like the Cheerleader issue at Etch. I like enthusiasm, I really do, but do you know what I mean when someone is so over the top that it just seems awkward? But I really like these women and I know I could be happy here. I have to believe it is just how recruitment brings out the “choose us” attitude that they can’t help but be happy and that spills over.

Barbie-These girls are just as put together as the were last time and I really liked philanthropy. This is considered a top house and I don’t if I have a chance here, but I really like the house and I had a really awesome conversation with two different women here. I know my descriptions are getting shorter, but I am getting tired, it is not a reflection on this house…..

So, it was time to rank my houses and I placed my bottom two like this:
Buzz
Sarge

Only time will tell. The next round is skit night and those parties start on Sunday. So I will give you an update on Sunday!

In closing, I would like to share some thoughts on this process. I wanted to do this before invites went out, because there is no rule that says I will get an invite. So for me I wanted to share my observations while they are not tainted by hurt or disappointment. First, it is so much more organized than I even felt was possible. The Rho Chis are really amazing women. Their letters don’t matter. They want each of us to be successful. I am also coming to understand that traditions die hard, or better yet, never die at UT. I was not naive going into this process. I knew where chapters stood in history. What I didn’t know is what they were like in reality. For some girls there is no difference. This I don’t understand, but they simply cannot seem to separate history with reality. We (a group of 8 of use from our hall) debated this yesterday. And just like any debate, no matter what side you are on, sometimes you dig in and have to believe you are right. I think in this case, they simply don’t want to disappoint themselves or their moms by pledging a “less” sorority so leaving the process, for them, is the better choice. This causes so much stress that I see why people say UT is competitive. But I don’t see it that way. The process is laid out so everyone can succeed. It’s failures lie in the PNMs that can’t go in with open hearts. I can honestly say that if you put one house’s girls into another house I bet 95% of the PNMs could not tell the difference. Some are so focused on the “Big 6” that they go into other houses with an “I don't like you attitude.” I believe the biggest shock of yesterday’s invitation reveals is that houses that are not “Big 6” houses were noticeably absent on a huge number of invite lists. This confused many girls. In other words, they swung the sword as swiftly as the “top houses.” Our Rho Chis explained that just because you may not think it is a top house, it is equally as hard to get into, because in reality, almost every single house at UT is VERY strong. It is just how the process goes. So with all that said, my list has what people call top houses and some that they don’t. But for me, my top house will be the house I want to call home and I will simply be happy if that all works out in the end, no matter what the letters on the house say, and no matter how people perceive it to be.