View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I've seen Alpha Phi Omega (the co-ed service fraternity)l on a few cases get shoved onto the greek council, but as you said campuses with a small number of social greeks. The "if you pledge, you end up on the council" rule. However I've not seen any Alpha Phi Omega chapter where that has let to limitations on who can join.
Like I said, I don't have first-hand experience with it. It seems, though, like the difference could be that APO is a (co-ed) service fraternity, so requiring it to be part of IFC is really trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. In that case, it would make no sense to anyone to limit dual membership.

Phi Mu Alpha, on the other hand, is a social fraternity, albeit not a general fraternity like most other NIC/IFC fraternities and not a member of the NIC. While I think there are some instances of schools saying "you're a social fraternity, so you need to be in IFC," there are also instances of chapters deciding they want to be in IFC because it is a good fit for them.