View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I'm curious, since we've veered into a discussion I haven't seen before-what happens if a new member for either a fraternity or sorority moves in and then drops during the new member period, or is removed from the chapter?
This happened when I was an active (small school, less than 5 sororities at the time). Our Greek housing was considered on-campus housing just like dorms were. Like others mentioned, if a woman in the dorms chose to move into her chapter house before her dorm contract was up (within 2 weeks of her accepting a bid, I believe) they'd refund the money and send it to the sorority house to pay her housing fee.

When a woman's membership was terminated for any reason while living in house, she was immediately required to move out and find her own place to live. Most often, this occurred at a semester break, when it's easier to find somewhere to stay than in the middle of the semester; however I do remember at least twice we had a woman choose to terminate (not a NM, but a fully initiated collegian) in the middle of a term - both times they chose to keep their plans a secret, moved their stuff out in the middle of the night (one over a holiday weekend when the majority of the school was out of town), and submitted their resignation paperwork after they'd moved out so they wouldn't have to worry about trying to retrieve their belongings. If a woman terminates during the NM period, the same situation applies.