View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Uplift both or nothing will change...

I have never heard of this organization and I reside in both Washington, DC and Connecticut. However, I must ask why did they choose to make it Progressive Black Men, Incorporated? Why not Progressive Black People or Persons? There seem to be a lot of organizations that are already devoted to the same goals that cater to men only. Did they feel as if women could not help them in their pursuit 'to eradicate negative stereotypes placed on those of African descent'? This job seems important enough for the organization to have expanded their sights and include women seeing as there are plenty of negative stereotypes for Black women and, throughout history, the voice/ accomplishments of the Black man has echoed over the voice/ accomplishments of Black women. My Black history classes have always been overshadowed with the pursuits of Black men. Are they actually attempting to rid of stereotypes or are they just furthering the stereotype that BEHIND (not to the side of) every Black man is a Black woman. That Black women will simply go along with whatever justification they come up with for the stereotypes of their female counterparts. Did they feel as if having women included in their brotherhood would somehow make the organization less effective? Are they progressive Black men or regressive black men? If they were as progressive as they believe they are, they would realize it takes a whole village to accomplish great change.