View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

In the interview, the researcher doesn't dispute the fact that Greek GPAs are higher than the larger campus community's, just the notion that joining a GLO "raises your GPA." I don't ever remember rushing or being rushed on that promise, though. The point was always "good students will likely remain good students in the Greek system" because getting in and staying in good standing required good grades. At my school, we all entered with 4.0+++ so that's all the assurance our parents needed re GLOs and grades.

The professor says that he found grades dropped pledging semester, and in general, after joining, but I'm pretty sure you could illustrate the same phenomenon for just about any student who goes from doing nothing first semester to very active the next in any demanding extracurricular. Especially when you're dealing with freshmen whose academic record is basically high school, or in the case of this institution, high school plus frosh fall. That's not a lot of college work to set a strong trend unless you're talking huge swaths of membership going from straight As first semester to failing the next, and that's not what's going on here.