View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thoughts and observations on virtual recruitment

I have talked with PNMS, active members, and advisers from several large and mid-sized totally virtual recruitments in the South this fall.

My observations:

Active members who have done recruitment on both sides do not miss standing lined up with 50-75 others as an PNM in 98 degree heat or afternoon thunderstorms. They do not miss having to practice door stacks for countless hours, losing their voices during open house rounds singing or screaming chants, or worrying about messing up their bump group by not finding their next PNM or bringing in the wrong PNM because they lined up incorrectly. They loved feeling like they were able to connect on a personal level and talk naturally with PNMs on day 1.

Women as PNMs this year were nostalgic that they missed out on a "real" recruitment with decorations, songs, etc, especially for pref round but overall were very happy with the process. They felt like they made personal connections easily. They were not subjected to constant "tent talk" while standing in line for parties and thus were more motivated to rank houses where they felt connected rather than listen all day to some other PNMS trash talk the chapters they liked.

Advisers were somewhat split....I think due to the huge stress of finding ways to make virtual work on their campus while trying to stay within the campus Panhellenic and local Covid rules, especially for selection sessions. But they all felt that the majority of chapter women enjoyed the process and were more rested and less stressed mentally and physically.

So, what is your opinion? Hopefully our world will look different at this point in 2021. Should some type of virtual hybrid be used in fall 2021, especially for open house rounds? That gets my vote!