Thread: PNM vs. RUSHEE
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 06:06 PM

Re: Old Dog Practices New Tricks

Quote:
Originally posted by NutBrnHair
Trust me, no one makes a greater effort to learn and use the current terms, but the point I want to make is that I think NPC acted hastily in ditching the terms "Rush" and "Rushee." I think there was a study (or probably several) showing that numbers on many campuses were down; therefore, the push was made to change things. I'm not against change, per se, but I think many factors went into the decline in numbers during the '90s (the least of which was semantics).
I agree with every word of your post.

It's easier to change things like terminology than actually stamp out dirty rushing practices or instill true Panhellenic spririt. Lots of noise, little action.

I found this in an earlier post by James and think it's absolutely correct...it also kind of ties in with some of the rush/recruitment ideas Firehouse posted.

Quote:
Originally posted by James
The naming of Rush to recruitment is probably a bad change. Not just because its PC but because its very misleading.

Generally recruitment is taught on a sports team model, not a military one.

So a college sports team has a certain amount of people that will just try out. Very similar to Rush. The teams that have a better reputation and stronger programs get more people at try outs. Or the schools that have reputations for strong programs see a lot of automatic joiners.

Thats still not recruitment.

Recruitment is when the coaches go out and actively try to find and identify talent and then convince them to go to their school and join their team.

NPC Formal Rush (recruitment) has nothing to do with a true recruitment model. In fact your rules prevent you from doing that at all.

COB would come closer to allowing that model. But most chapters are not good at COB, just as most fraternity chapters are not that great at Rush/recruitment.

A true recruitment model would probably have you identifying and "recruiting" already established student leaders.

Last edited by 33girl; 10-27-2003 at 06:26 PM.