View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I work in higher ed admissions and YES to all of this. If your major is "more difficult", it may not be the major for you. And, while many students believe that they need to be in these "harder" majors to prepare for graduate school, that is simply not the case.

Cheers to academic advisors that actually advise students on an individual basis, instead of a "standard recommended curriculum" which should be acting as a guide, instead of as the law of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I'm sorry, but this whole "I'm in a more difficult major than you" thing annoys me. I was an engineering major to start, and I realized that calculus wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I graduated with a Poli Sci degree with a focus on law. I wrote so many papers as an undergrad, including a 60-page study on politics, the media, and the effect that each has on each other. Meanwhile, I knew Engineering and Math majors who couldn't spell or write to save their life. But their GPA should be weighted more heavily because they're in a "difficult" major? Please.

I know that part of this is a product of high school students not being advised adequately and ending up in majors they were never meant to be in, but to argue that certain people should get a pass because of their major is ridiculous.