View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
\
Why the hell would you pledge a fraternity if you didn't want to be in it? Go through a semester long pledge program and then decide to join another org? No.
Macallan25, from what ProZach said, he sounds interested in this fraternity. However, he is uncertain if he will be transferring, so he's unsure of whether he should begin pledging and depledge if he decides to transfer.

ProZach, I don't know where you go to school, and I don't know where you're thinking of transferring, so I couldn't make judgements based on the campus culture. I don't think a fraternity would look down on someone who depledged at another school because he decided to transfer. In some (but definitely not all) schools, if you pledge XYZ at State U, depledge, and then rush ABC at the same school, ABC could be skeptical of you. They might wonder if you didn't "make" it, or if you are not willing to commit to a fraternity, etc. Transferring is something that shouldn't stir up controversy about your character. Then again, I am from the North, and maybe transferring is controversial elsewhere.

I think that you should definitely wait until you know where you will be going next year. Obviously you don't want to pledge XYZ, and transfer only to find out that you don't fit in with the XYZs at your new school, or that your new school does not have a chapter of XYZ. Even if you end up staying, you could wait a semester later to begin pledging (again, this depends on the campus; some campuses only take freshmen).