View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

A Game of Thrones Recruitment Story

Hi guys! So I read some of the stories on this site and I absolutely loved them. Since I'm going through recruitment I decided to post my own experience.

A little bit of background information: I go to school in Southern California and my university has seven sororities. We will refer to them as the houses from Game of Thrones (which I LOVE).

House Lannister
House Tyrell
House Greyjoy
House Stark
House Baratheon
House Targaryen
House Martell

So let's start from the beginning of the day. My group had a break scheduled first and then seven parties back to back. Each party is about forty minutes.

House Tyrell - I was so nervous going into the first house and was not too sure on what to expect. The first girl I talked to was nice but I don't really think our conversation clicked. We talked about intramurals an philanthropy before another sister stepped in. The second sister I was able to hit it off with and we discussed their retreats and Walt Disney World. I definitely felt a lot better talking to this sister and began to feel comfortable. When the third sister came by, I was sad to see the second one go. The third sister and I talked about cosmetics and hair so while it was a nice conversation, it wasn't anything I was crazy about. Finally, the fourth sister came by and we HIT IT OFF. We talked about our favorite TV Shows and it all just clicked as soon as I mentioned Gossip Girl. Then we both went crazy discussing who Gossip Girl was lol. We were screaming and flailing our arms and I had the best time with her. My notes said 'Loved some convos but not all. I can see myself her but not in love with it...yet'.

House Lannister: I wasn't really excited to visit the second house because I heard all these rumors that the girls were catty and some of the girls mentioned that they would receive mean looks. However, that was not at all the case! I think I talked to about three girls in this house and they were all fabulous. The first sister and I went on and on about YouTube videos so it was great from the get go and all of her sisters were warm and welcoming as well. We talked shared interests in creative writing, Orange is the New Black, majors, and we talked about eyebrows. Their skit at the end was really funny and as I left this house, I absolutely knew I wanted to come back. Yay!

House Greyjoy: One of my co workers was in this house and she told me she loved it so I was very excited to meet these girls. I had met some of them while they were tabling and the girls were funny and talkative. At this house I only got to talk to ONE girl the entire forty minutes and the conversations kept dying with her. She seemed a little shy so I tried prodding her with questions about her sorority but she would give short answers and stop talking. As I saw some of the other sisters walk by I'd think 'PLEASE WALK OVER HERE' but I didn't get my wish until the very end. As another sister started walking up to us, the president announced time for a quick song. I was bummed. The skit showed how tightly knit their group was. I was disappointed I didn't click with the sister I spoke with, but I wasn't sure I wanted to write them off because of my previous experience with the other sisters. In my notes I wrote 'Talked about everything but no connection...maybe?'.

House Stark: Walking in to this house, all the decorations were absolutely beautiful. I loved their philanthropy because it was about children with cancer and I had a personal tie to it. I had great conversations with the girls here and completely relaxed. I clicked with all four sisters I talked to and imagine my surprise when I realized that one of the sisters was a girl from my high school. So we talked about our old school as well as kayaking, sisterhood, their values, as well as Disney. Each sister had lots to say and the conversation kept going until it was time to leave. As I walked out and all the sisters lined up at the door, the girls I spoke with waved enthusiastically. My notes said 'Awesome house!'

House Baratheon: To be honest, I don't remember much about this house to be honest. I remember we talked about sports and academics which is important to me but not much else stands out. The girls were really nice but the fact that I didn't remember the conversations threw me off.

House Targaryen: This was the other house that had the 'mean girl, cliquey' stereotype but just like House Lannister, I knew it could be totally wrong. I talked to many sisters here, about five I believe. We all hit it off here as well and I was so excited! Their philanthropy centers around reading which is big in my life as well and I had experience doing the same thing. I mentioned this to one of the girls and she revealed that she was the philanthropy chair. I spoke to another one of the sisters about my love of sports and she was the one in charge of Intramurals. They mentioned how they helped start another chapter at a different school so I was glad their sisterhood spread to different chapters. The skit at the end was fantastic so as I left the house, I knew I wanted to come back here as well. My notes say 'YES (: YES YES YES'

House Martell: Finally we had one more house. I was honestly tired and hungry but I knew this would be the last house. I talked to three sisters here and from the start one sister and I were meant to be soul mates. She was literally the second half of me. The other two sisters were engaging as well but I loved the first sister like no other. The only thing that worried me was that this house had a small presence on campus, mostly because they were new, and I really wanted to be part of a house that is constantly fundraising for their philanthropy and being a part of the campus.

At the end I wasn't entirely sure who I was going to vote for my 2nd and 3rd choice. We could rank five number 1s. By the time it was my turn, this is how I ranked:

1. House Lannister
1.House Targaryen
1. House Stark
1. House Tyrell
1. House Greyjoy
2. House Martell
3. House Baratheon

I don't know if I made a mistake ranking House Greyjoy higher than House Martell because of my really strong connection with the one girl, but we shall see. I am so excited for Day 2!