View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I'll dig my Key out and see what I can confirm. I seem to recall that ZTA recently colonized there, too. I'm kind of thinking that NYU just opened to national organizations or to expansion in general. They are in a growth phase, no doubt. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

ETA:

Here's the info from Irishpipes' awesome NPC Recruitment thread

New York University
New York City, NY
September 18-25, 2011
Quota=
Campus Total=
Alpha Omicron Pi Nu 1900-1961
Alpha Epsilon Phi Zeta 1917-1965/? (38)
Delta Phi Epsilon Alpha 1917 (38)
Phi Sigma Sigma Gamma 1918-1963
Phi Omega Pi New York Alpha 1920-?
Theta Upsilon Beta Alpha 1932-1962 National absorbed by Delta Zeta
Beta Phi Alpha Alpha Theta 1935-1941 National absorbed by Delta Zeta
Delta Zeta Beta Omega 1935-1969
Sigma Delta Tau Alpha Rho 1960-1970

Alpha Sigma Tau Delta Phi 2002 (41)
Pi Beta Phi New York Eta 2009
Zeta Tau Alpha Colony Fall 2011 (93)
Kappa Kappa Gamma Eta Pi Colony Fall 2011 (Absorbing local)

The Key stated that there are still two locals on campus at NYU. Looks like the last decade has seen a surge in national organizations after the 1960s weren't so kind to NPC groups. Anyone know any history here?
I'm happy to shed a little light on NYU Greek life. Between the sororities and fraternities, NYU actually has a very long history of Greek life with several Alpha or founding chapters (AEPi, DPhiE, Zeta Psi), and many chapters that have been around since very early on in their national organization's history. I think one of the biggest reasons for the sharp decline in groups in the late 60s-early 70s was the fact that, prior to that, NYU had multiple campuses, including a campus in the Bronx (called University Heights). UH was actually really the main campus for the undergraduate programs from the late 1890s until it was sold by NYU in 1973 to avoid bankruptcy. The UH campus was very much a traditional-style college campus, complete with Greek housing, a quad, etc. I think that when the undergrad program was shifted to the Washington Square campus (where NYU is today, in lower Manhattan), the school became more of a commuter institution and the interest in Greek life (especially chapters lacking any kind of "home base" or anything) tapered off.

Things really picked up again over the last 10-15 years. There were a number of local sororities founded (5 in total). One was absorbed by AST and around the same time, AEPhi recolonized. Another one of the locals was closed a few years later, but recruitment numbers actually started to take off around the same time (total was raised from the low 60's to 82) and Panhel began to look at extension. Pi Phi came to campus in 2009, but Panhel considered extension again almost immediately because even with a new chapter and a higher total, there was an increasing demand for Greek life. As Panhel considered extension again, one of the three remaining locals was discussing national affiliation and made that known to Panhel. What ended up taking place was sort of a dual extension process...the NPC was notified that NYU was open for extension for both a ground-up colonization AND the absorption of a local and groups were invited to be considered for one or the other or both. A number of organizations submitted packets for consideration. The local selected Kappa and Panhel selected ZTA for colonization. Both chapters were installed last semester.

I will be interested to see if extension is in NYU's future again soon; obviously, a lot of it depends upon the success of the ZTA and Kappa chapters in the next few semesters. I'm pretty certain that neither of the remaining two locals are interested in affiliating with a national group. I also know there were some membership issues with AST this past semester and about half of their chapter was dismissed by nationals, so it may be some time before all of the NPC chapters are at total again.

Sorry for the novel..brevity is not my strong suit