View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

As a former Ancient and Medieval History/Classics major, I can say that none of my sorority sisters would have thought twice about my knowledge, because they didn't know enough about that knowledge to know it might be interesting/dangerous. For example, by knowing the background of someone who may have been influential on our founders, and knowing what this person probably knew, I figured out where something in our ritual came from prior to initiation. When I explained my reasoning to my sisters, the blank stares were epic, even though it turns out I was correct.

So I would say, No. So few people know dead languages these days, most mottos are very poorly translated, and many glos --because of truncated pledge periods (yes PLEDGE) -- have members who barely know enough to carry out the ritual, much less appreciate its nuance and history. Sad but true. Listening to a chapter I advised struggling to learn something ritualistically important prior to an official visit was a sad wake up call into the many weaknesses of the modern "New Member" period.