Thread: COB Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I would go over in your head what you did and said during FR.

If Sorority B invited you to COB, that means they want to get to know you better. The good thing about COB, especially if it's by invitation only, is that you have a better chance of getting to know more girls, and more girls getting to know you.

I would first assess your conversations. Were you shy? Worried about your class standing? Try to think of topics to talk about, that highlight your best assets. For example, do you have a high GPA, are you involved in the community or campus, possess leadership skills and experience, have a hobby or skill like dancing, speaking multiple languages, play an instrument, or are you really into music? Sharing this type of info lets others into your world. You may find commonalities, or you may find that people are impressed or interested, even if they don't share the same hobbies.

I also suggest that you try the 2-1 method. It works well in interviews. For every two things you share about yourself, ask one question - whether it's about the sister or the sorority. This will demonstrate that you are also interested in learning more about THEM. Think ahead of questions you might ask. Go beyond "what is your major". Stay away from yes/no questions. People may remember the questions you ask just as much as the questions you answer. Some ideas for questions - What are your favorite classes? What do you like to do outside of class? What kind of movies do you like? What do members of the sorority like to do during their down time?

And speaking of assets, assess what you wore to FR. It's not important that you wear trendy, designer duds, but that you present yourself in the best possible light. Wear clothes that FIT and flatter you. Wear something you are comfortable in, so that you aren't fidgeting. The point is to not worry about your clothes and relax.

NO ONE can answer whether or not you have better chances with COB vs. FR, whether or not your class status will matter on your campus.

As for what events they will have, ask. They may have a schedule, or the events may be invite-only on each round (every one does COB differently). I think you should just relax and enjoy the company. They invited you, so they must have an interest.

As for the bid process, I can only share what mine was like (I only did COB, second semester, freshman year). We had to be by our phones for a period of time on that particular night. If you got a call, you were "released". If you were given a bid, during that time, you got a knock on your door and a sister handed you your bid, and she brought you to the chapter room for bid night. But that was a long time ago!!

I swear, the older I get, the more the phrase "Be yourself" makes more and more sense. It's the best advice I can give you. And remember, if you don't get a bid, at least you made some new friends. Everyone can use a new friend.

Good luck!!