View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Apartment Complex Nightmare

I'm at my wits end.

To preface, I am a full time law student, with exams coming up next week. For those of you who aren't aware of what that's like, it's a period of intense study and stress, since you don't have much time, no matter how much work you've been doing all semester, to get a grasp of an entire subject matter.

I live in an apartment complex that isn't exactly luxury. Tenants are usually either college students, graduate students, or severely disadvantaged city residents living in government subsidized units.

Anyway, mid-March my roommate informed me that we had to be treated for bedbugs, even though I am extremely clean (the worst I get is clothes on the floor sometimes) and there were no traces of bedbugs whatsoever. No dark spots on my sheets (which are white), no evidence of bites, nothing when I shined my flashlight into dark crevices. However, we had to submit to a really inconvenient preparation system...all our clothing was laundered and tied up in plastic bags, everything cleaned out of drawers, everything hung in my closet was taken out and bagged. Essentially it looks like we are moving out, with everything in plastic bags and bins.

First two treatments came and went, the third time they wouldn't spray because I accidentally left a lone shirt hanging in my closet. Then they came again a few days later, and since my roommate and I were not notified, it wasn't prepared for the spraying. So my roommate calls Saturday and schedules another spraying for today, and tells me...5pm yesterday afternoon.

Once I get home from the library I clean up everything, I bag everything, take out all the trash, strip the beds, do the whole thing as thoroughly as I can. Since I had a ton of work to do earlier, I was up doing this until 3am. I wake up the next morning, bag my sheets and pillows do another sweep and make sure the bags are secured, and go to class. Since I can't be in my apartment 6 hours after the spraying and they usually come between 11am and 2, I stay at the library until close and get home at 12:15.

...and they didn't spray again! I have been essentially living out of plastic bags and dealing with these preparations over a month. It's more than a major inconvenience, it's really lowered my standard of living and I can't take it anymore. I do not want to do this during next week and the week after since I have exams, and when I got home and realized they didn't do the final treatment and I could potentially have to live like this longer...I cried. And I am NOT a crier. I don't know what to do anymore and I can't really find much information on this...does anyone have any suggestions?

(Talking to my roommate doesn't work. He's very non-confrontational to the point of ALWAYS saying that we should just comply, though he doesn't do it anyway since his girlfriend does his share of the preparations (she also cooks him dinner every night and does all his cleaning...all of it). He's very laid back and blase about the inconvenience, basically just going to his girlfriend's house when we have to deal with this. And yes, I am moving out soon, but not until after exams).