View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I didn't say it was a new thing. NPC groups would suffer in terms of membership if fraternal groups adopted NPC alcohol policies.

My point was that while you want to blame alumni for not getting the message, we know exactly what the issue is. Sigma Nu tried to pass an alcohol free housing initiative in the early 2000s. It was overwhelmingly defeated at our Grand Chapter. It's a non-starter, never going to happen.

We use education by mandating members take the alcohol.edu course every single year (maybe every semester?)

No amount of education, well-meaning rules, or threats is going to stop 18-21 year old people from overconsuming and doing stupid things. It's a force of nature.

What you can control at the end of the day is how well your organization reacts when someone does the stupid thing. That's where alumni can be helpful. It's also where alumni can be very unhelpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keTbsSfMOdI&t=47s [whether that was allowed by alumni or perpetuated, it wins that category forever].

But blaming alums for 18-21 year old kids doing amazingly terrible things? Nope.
Pick your poison.

Either throw your hands up in the air and just say 'Well, there's nothing we can do" and let the alcohol abuse continue, or get sued out of existence and / or get kicked off campus by school admins because your org is not taking control of the problem.

NPHC had a history of hazing problems - people were getting seriously harmed and some died. We were faced with dealing with the problem or literally getting sued out of existence. We made the choice - zero tolerance on hazing. Members and chapters caught hazing are disciplined (suspended, expelled).

I know that in SGR all undergrad sorority functions must have chapter advisers present.

My point is that it all depends on how IFC fraternities want to handle the problem.

If *you, IFC member*, aren't going to take control and deal with this, others will and they won't be so nice about it.