View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
Why not just stay with partially-structured? My campus changed from fully-structured to partially-structured during my time there and our quota numbers definitely saw a bump.

I just don't get how you can do minimally structured with that many chapters and be successful.
We're actually classified as minimally structured due to some other rules we have that I haven't talked about on here. Each group can only spend $1000 including t-shirts, food, decorations, etc. No one can have any matching item of clothing. No skits allowed. Plus we have no time limit for PNMs at the parties and they can do pretty much whatever the hell the want and they will not get dropped from recruitment.

It's successful for about 3 chapters (perceived as the "top" groups by some, but I don't really buy into that) who are consistently at or near total and only take about 3 girls through winter COB. For several other chapters, it's unsuccessful. Some groups may get a large new member class but only retain half of that class before initiation, so they have a really high turnover rate. Some groups may only get 5-10 girls and stay around 25-35 members out of a possible 55 total. Then there was a group on campus that struggled so hard with numbers that they were closed by their nationals. Chapters seeing issues with numbers only started when we switched to this god-awful system. Pre-RFM, my chapter was at or near total most of the time. Now we have just around 30 girls.

In my opinion, the system perpetuates the idea of the large chapters staying large and the smaller chapters staying small. Of course, if we restricted PNMs to only attending chapters they were invited to and requiring them to attend all the chapters they were invited to, this would not be as much of an issue because they would be forced to look at other chapters. But Dee already covered most of this so I'm not going to rant anymore (I could rant all day about this).