View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
All the mentions of the Hope Scholarships throughout these threads got me curious so I did some googling -- the numbers on this page are impressive in terms of # awarded & $ awarded, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain the huge drop in scholarships awarded from 2007-2008 to 2008-2009? Is it because they are awarded throughout the year so the numbers will eventually get to the six figures as in previous years? Anyone in GA know? https://www.gsfc.org/gsfcnew/sandg_facts.cfm?GUID=
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
I believe that is the case. Many students do not have money yet for this academic year, and students often "lose Hope" [that always cracks me up for some reason] if their grades fall below the required minimum. The academic year has just started, so I'm betting that the number will rise as the year progresses, and that amount reflects summer payments thus far.

My somewhat educated opinion, for what it's worth.
I agree that mainly it just doesn't reflect the awards to students for this this fall yet.

I think this actually kicked in a few years ago, but there was also a dip in HOPE grants awarded straight out of high school because the qualifying criteria switched from being an B average that student could meet by having an 80 or above on a percentage grade system to a true 3.0 GPA. I think there were a lot of kids who had 80 averages in high schools whose true GPA was more like a 2.5 because they had half 75 ish grades and half 85-ish grades.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-21-2008 at 09:37 PM.